Delft!
Delft is the city where Matt has some of his classes, so one day I decided to follow along and check out the city while he was at classes - I think I took the most pictures in Delft, mainly because it was such a lovely, sunny day!
This is the town hall. It was built between 1618 and 1620. The tower (behind the scaffolding) was built in the 13th century and originates from a count's court.
This is known as the "Nieuwe Kerk" or the 'new church'. There is an 'old church', too. This one was built between 1383 and 1510. The tower was errected between 1396 and 1496. The present spire dates from 1875.
I just liked the way the buildings' shadows looked on the town hall.
This is the door to the 'Neuwe Kerk' - I like the mini metal church hanging over the door. I didn't go inside, as you had to pay to go in and I'm not sure how nice it was on the inside.
This is a photo taken from around back of the Nieuwe Kerk.
After wandering around for a bit, I though i'd stop and have some lunch. I had brought some french bread and hummous and parked myself on a bench to eat. Now, I assumed that I'd have some company, I didn't, however, imagine that I'd be swarmed with rather aggressive birds - including this lovely black one. Just outside the picture is my knee - so he got pretty close. Of course ducks were there too, but I found this guys' feet to be so cool! He's like a dinosaur.
See? Very very cool.
According to the sign beside the door of this building, this is a 'very large and luxurious, late-gothic private house with stone facade and a nice turret. It was built around 1505. Since 1645 it was been used for the Dyke Conservancy Board of Delftland.'
I just liked how these three bikes lined up, all colorful and such.
Look! I found a swan! I think this one hoped I had food, too. I wonder if swans are as mean as Canadian geese.
See? Very very cool.
According to the sign beside the door of this building, this is a 'very large and luxurious, late-gothic private house with stone facade and a nice turret. It was built around 1505. Since 1645 it was been used for the Dyke Conservancy Board of Delftland.'
I just liked how these three bikes lined up, all colorful and such.
Look! I found a swan! I think this one hoped I had food, too. I wonder if swans are as mean as Canadian geese. Delft was a lovely city, and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it helps that the weather was lovely while I was there, which helped the mood.
Now.... get ready for the final set of pictures - the beach!
2 comments:
There's a swan on Bowen, and it's a total bastard. He keeps running off the mates they bring for him, people feel bad 'cuz he's always alone, so they bring other swans in for him...but, like I said, he's a bastard.
love the funny bird with the weird feet - was he cranky?
and you are getting much better at having some information about the buildings/history/etc - of the pictures you are taking - you make me proud !!!! thanks!
Post a Comment