Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkin Pie

Well, with the Halloween Season upon us, and with Canadian Thanksgiving just past, and Britain not particularly participating in either, I felt it was necessary to excercise my Canadian-ness and make a pumpkin pie, damnit!

And so I did.
Here's the pumpkin I bought. It's a specific "baking pumpkin", which cost 4 times as much as the carving pumpkin of the same size that it was sitting next too. Whether it was a requirement of the pie, or a sneaky trick used by grocery stores to encourage you to buy a fancy pumpkin, I'll never know.
And here's the liquid I turned it into. Yes, I know it looks a bit like vomit... it's okay. We're all thinking it. I used the recipe off this site here, although instead of microwaving the pumpkin for 30 minutes, I chose to bake it instead to make it soft. Although this took longer than planned and was slightly frustrating.

After scraping the pumpkin out of its shell, and mixed it with evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, and a bunch of spices. Unfortunately I don't have a blender/food purifier, so I couldn't blend the mixture properly, resulting in a slightly lumpy pie. Still has lovely flavor.
First, I baked a bunch of mini-pies, which turned out quite well. Nice, bite sized morsels. Although chunky...
Oh the dishes... so many dishes...
And finally, the masterpiece! I would love to say that I made the pastry myself, too, but I didn't. Maybe next time. I have some pumpkin goop left in the freezer for future use, so who knows. This pie turned out really well, actually better than the mini-pies, since the longer baking time meant that it's less chunky in the middle.
... and, of course, the whipping cream! Can't forget that...

All in all I'm pleased that I tried this recipe, although I'm pretty sure that when I return to the land of canned pumpkin and pre-made pies, I will opt for the easier option. A fun experiment, but time consuming and expensive.

But for now, I've got pie.

4 comments:

PunkRawkKnitter October 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

Carving pumpking have very little flesh, so they kinda suck in terms of being good to cook with. They're also grown for esthetics, rather than taste.

All in all, a good job, don't see why you shun making your own pastry (other than it being more work), it is rather quite easy..flour meet cold butter...that's basically it... smittenkitchen has a good pie crust 101.

Leanna October 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Thanks for the info re: Pumpkins. I never knew!

I'm not sure why I shun making my own pastry... I'll do it sometime. I find all this baking very stressful at time, do this while this is cooking then mash this and add all these spices. All this multi-tasking! Bah!

I'll look up that pastry recipe. :)

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 3:22 AM  

leanna, to ease up on the stress, have everything pre measured and ready to go, its called mis en place, translation, everything has its place? something like that...but that would help you tonnes i am sure...
the pies look incredible, silly me, made some yesterday, with canned pumpkin puree...i know what a cheater...now i shall have to go fetch the real stuff and try it this weekend! :) do you have a potatoe masher? maybe that would help with the smoothness!
great updates by the way, s.fry is quite charming and i too like his clothing choice as well...i suspect it is his personality that helps pull it off!! :)
take care hon! stay healthy!~
jenn

Mom October 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

Leanna, you need to tell everyone you don't have a rolling pin and that is why you haven't tackled your own pastry yet! and by the way - I bought you two pyrex pie plates at the interfaith store the other day and am keeping an eye out for other bakeware for you so that when you come home you will be well stocked! good job! but you learn that tasks are always easier with the right tools!

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.