Monday, June 8, 2009

Edinburgh! Finally!

Okay! Welcome to Edinburgh! We spent a total of 5 days here, including travel days. While I didn't really imagine Edinburgh to be a city that offered a ton of things to do and see, I was most certainly wrong! We saw tons of things and still didn't see everything Edinburgh had to offer.

Most of our time in Edinburgh was spent walking up and down the Royal Mile, where most of the sights are located. It is one of Europe's most interesting historic walks. It consists of four different streets - Castlehill, Lawnmarket, High Street and Canongate (each with its own set of street numbers). This mile is actually 200 yards longer than a mile and runs from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace.

Before I get on with the more specialized pictures, here is a sample of the 'random' Edinburgh pictures:

Here is the reflection of what I think is the St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh against the street (I could be wrong).
Fluffed-out bird resting on someone's head.
The view down one of Edinburgh's many many alleys, also called the 'courts, closes and wynds.'

Some of the names of the 'courts, closes and wynds' - Advocate Close, Chessel's Court, Fleshmarket Close, Tweeddale Court, Riddle's Court, Brodie's Court, Anchor Close, Milne's Court, James Court, & Paisley Court.

In Riddle's Close, 1500's, you will see a set of wooden stairs on the outside wall of a tenement - this is Bailie McMorran's House - the stairs no longer go anywhere and they are from the 1500's, too.

Vennel's Close leads to a fragment of Flodden Wall, the original 16th C city wall.
Down a lane by John Knox's house, you can find the Trinity Apse, all that remains of a 15th C church.

Here's the view down another alley.
The back of some buildings. Most often the little alleys led to courtyards and shops.

Here's a cafe called The Witchery. We didn't go in since it's expensive, but here's what their website says about themselves:

Located in an historic sixteenth-century building at the gates of Edinburgh Castle, James Thomson's Witchery is the most atmospheric and spectacular dining destination in the city.

A unique location,stunning interiors and superlative food, wine and service create memorable and magical dining experiences for locals, visitors and celebrities alike. Ewan MacGregor, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta Jones, Jack Nicholson and Clarissa Dickson Wright have all succumbed to its charms, with Andrew Lloyd Webber calling it the prettiest restaurant ever!

Originally built for an Edinburgh merchant in 1595, this historic building on the Royal Mile now includes the jewel-like Witchery diningroom, the spectacular Secret Garden and a collection of totally indulgent and opulent suites on the floors above and in an adjacent historic building.

Oops, someone got given a hat.
Here's the view from the top of the hill where Edinburgh Castle is, you can see the beach and ocean from here.
Here is the memorial to all the people who were burnt/killed for being witches.

This was located at the top of a doorway. I remember the year being in the 1600's, but I can't remember anything else besides that. I don't even think it was an important door, either.


Some more buildings, a statue and a flag.

It was lovely weather that week, and people were out enjoying it. Just like London, the weather gets good and you can no longer find a spot to lay down in the park.
I snapped this photo while sitting in the second level of a Starbucks, enjoying a muffin.
I particularly enjoy this photo - I like that the sun bleaches out the colors in the flag.
This is a crazy lady with a rediculous amount of facial piercings. After a quick Google (yes, I did actually type "Crazy Lady Edinburgh lots of piercings" into Google), it turns out her name is Elaine Davidson and she currently hold the Guiness World's Record for having the most piercings (total number is 6,005 - yikes!). I didn't get a picture of her face because she wanted money, so I sneakily took one from behind. But, if you dare, click either of these two links: here and here.

Edit: Sorry, links don't seem to work. Either Google "Elaine Davidson" or you can try the flickr group dedicated to her here.
This is Greyfriars Bobby's Bar. There is a statue of the famous dog out front.

Greyfriar's Bobby is the statue of the little Skye Terrier who guarded the grave of his master for 14 years. He died in 1872. You can read more about him here.

There's the basics, now let's move on to more specialized photos!

4 comments:

klucas June 9, 2009 at 4:55 AM  

I like that you took a photo of her from the back... just like the guy in New York who wanted your monies too... I'll need to remember that...

Also... I dared click on those links... they don't work :(

Nicole June 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

Yeah, the links don't work, I'll have to google what you googled I guess.
So glad to see more posts! I've been starving over here, wanting to see how your trip ended!
Then bang! 11 posts. So much for work today.
I love the bleached flag photo, espcially being in Scotland, where the influence of England is unwanted and waining.
Oh, and traffic cone-head was there when we were! I never thought it would stay for so long!

Nicole June 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swissbones/213896694/
try that for a front facing pierced lady photo

Leanna June 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Yeah, for some reason the links don't seem to work. I posted a Flickr group dedicated to her mug.... so yeah.


:)

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.