Castle Combe
Castle Combe was one of the stops on a whirlwind tour we did from Bath. The stops included Stonehenge (yes, again), Avebury Circle, Castle Combe and Lacock.


Castle Come is a small village in Wiltshire, England and has a population of about 350.

They like to call themselves "the prettiest village in England", and I can't really argue with them.
This little sun was on a house - it was indicative that the homeowner had paid his dues to the fire company - therefore if his house was alight, the fire fighters would look for a decal like this, otherwise they wouldn't fight the fire.
In the centre is a 14th century Market Cross, which was errected when the priviledge to hold a weekly market was granted.
Nearby are some small stone steps, used for horseriders to mount and dismount.
You can see some graffiti dating from the 1600s on the inside of the Market Cross. Nice to know that graffiti was still as popular back then as it is now.
Castle Combe just had the prettiest houses - it was so quaint and perfect and odd all at the same time.
Located within the village is St. Andrew's Church, which was originally founded in the 13th century. The nave was added in the 14th centure and the tower was completed in the 16th century.

During the 1850's much of the church fell into disrepair and had to be rebuilt.
This is one of my all-time favorite photos from this trip. I actually took it upside-down - the only way I could put the camera on the ground, but I love how the rope looks. I assume that it is attached to a bell.
I love the star detail on the ceiling - a pattern I actually saw in several churches.
On the north side there is a monument of a Norman Knight - Sir Walter de Dunstanville, Baron of Castle Combe, who died in 1270. Along the base of the monument shows figures of his children. Their unique poses all mean different things, of which I can't remember.



We visited Castle Combe first thing on our day trip, and it was lovely to see all quiet and calm. There wasn't a whole lot to see, as it is so tiny, but very very photogenic.
3 comments:
Walter de Dunstanville's tomb (great great grandson of Henry 1st of England) - his chain mail was so well carved, experts can tell from the links that it was made by Bristol craftsmen. The six children are as follows: a priest, a lawyer, weaver, a farmer's wife, housewife and one died in childbirth.
This church had great gargoyles, too - a bearded hairy man giving birth to a monster, while holding another in his arms and there were several other monsters (devils) on other pillars. This is the devil spawning evil and it is trying to enter the church. Meanwhile, angels with shields are guarding the church (on other columns).
Your pictures of the main street are postcard perfect Leanna - in fact one matches a postcard I bought!
Post a Comment