Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Out and About in the Neighborhood

On my first actual day of exploring, I wandered around the neighborhood a little bit, then wandered over to Portobello Road market to buy some scarves!
This is the road that my hotel is on. Belgrave Road in Pimlico. It's a lovely area and it's very full of hotels. All the houses look the same but it sure is lovely. It was a very foggy morning if you haven't already noticed.
This is the Saint Saviour Church Pimlico. It was just down the street from my hotel. I didn't go inside, and I'm not quite sure what the "Gifts" sign is for? St. Saviour was built in 1865. Nice look door, eh? I like the vines crawling up the wall. Rather than hopping the tube directly to Portobello Road, I decided to explore a bit. I ended up on the Thames Path walking towards Westminster Abbey. The foggy area to the right is the Thames, but it's so foggy you can't really tell. This is the Buxton Memorial. It was erected to commemorate the emancipation of slaves following the 1833 Slavery Abolition Act. It was originally located in Parliament Square, but later removed and placed in Victoria Tower Gardens in 1957 to mark the 150th Anniversary of the 1807 Act that abolished the trans-Atlantic slave trade. And yes, I copied that off the website. I'm not THAT knowledgeable about random statues. And yes, those are the Parliament buildings in the back. Still foggy.... Can't tell you who these dudes are. Didn't pay enough attention to the statue, but thought that it looked cool with the tower in the background. Here is Big Ben peeking over some of the buildings behind Westminster Abbey.
This was some maybe-graffiti on a building on the way to Portobello Road. There wasn't anything else around it (stores, etc), so not quite sure what the purpose was, but I found it neat anyways.
Here is the view looking down the Portobello Road street market. I love how all the houses are different colors! Now I'm not sure I would want to live here, might bother me with all the constant noise, but might be fun for a while. Either way I do enjoy the market!

I didn't get to the market until late morning, so by then it was getting crowded. It's much more fun when you get there first thing in the morning, it feels like a more authentic experience. But, I was just going to get some scarves, so it didn't matter to me.

I'll be posting pictures of my long, foot-crippling walk next!

0 comments:

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.