Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vintage Letters Part 2


Here's the second letter. Dated New Years Eve, 1942. Damn.


Yup. 1942. That is one old piece of paper you're looking at. And a little sad they weren't together for New Years.


Hogmany, or Hogmanay, is the Scottish word for the last day of the year, as told by Wikipedia.


I love all the little 'x's at the end. So very sweet.


And again, here's the whole letter, should you want a read:


Miss J. Duncan
6/0 10 Victoria Street
Carnoustie
Angus
Scotland
1015644 LAC Hunter
603 Squadron
R.A.F. M.E.F.
31.12.42

My Darling Jean,

Well darling here I am writing again, you see I just had to do this on Hogmanay. No doubt you will be making preparations for the New Year as I am writing this letter, I wish I was with you, for this night would have meant a lot for us. It would be great making out New Years resolutions together instead of many miles apart. Never mind, I have chosen a few good ones, but you will know about them soon.

I have been receiving your letters much better now darling and I must tell you I chase our postman something terrible to get your letter with the much familiar handwriting and I just have to look at the bottom of you air-graph for the words that say you still love me. Then I know there could be no luckier fellow in the world than me with a girl so lovely that she could never be a second to any other even when we look back at the old family album I will still tell you that.

I have written to Edie a few days ago as a matter of fact it was just a couple of hours after I received her air-graph you see we have been moving about a little that’s why it took so long she was getting on about the twins that she is till waiting for so I replied and told her that she had better bring in a lodger for Bill is no use. I was just wondering if someone will ever tell you that I recon darling that would be pretty drastic. Still it still remains to be seen.

Well dear I am going to town tonight with the boys to help them celebrate New Year coming in so I will better get cleaned up. But don’t worry there will be no dashing maidens as you put it as there is only one girl for me and I know I have the right one. But before I close I have to tell you there is a little present well on its way to you. It’s not what I would really have wished to send, as that will have to wait but I fancied you would like it.

I will close now give my love to all at home and that I wish as much as them that I could be home now. Cheerio my darling for the present.

All my love is yours,
Fred xxxxxx

It's an awfully romanticized time-period, though of course it wasn't that kind of reality I imagine. I hope he came home and they got together in the end. Who knows - they may still be together now? Hard to say.

Real pictures coming soon, I promise.

0 comments:

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.