Saturday, February 27, 2010

Checkpoint Charlie

This is, as I'm sure you can guess, what's left of 'Checkpoint Charlie', the best-known Berlin wall crossing point between East Germany and West Germany during the Cold War.

All that you see here is not original - it has been rebuilt so that you can see what it would've looked like (minus the tourists and the modern things) at the time. It was probably the busiest place I visited in Berlin, so it's hard to really get an idea of what it going on.

You can probably see the giant photo on the pole up there - there's an American soldier on one side and a Russian one on the other side - both stationed in Berlin during the 1990s - keeping an eye on each other, I imagine.

The name 'Charlie' came for the letter C in the phonetic alphabet - there is a Checkpoint Alpha and a Checkpoint Bravo. It was also the third checkpoint on way from Western Germany to West Berlin (through East Germany).

Shortly after the erection of the Berlin Wall, a standoff occured between U.S. and Soviet tanks on either side of Checkpoint Charlie. It began on October 22, as a dispute over whether East German guards were authorized to examine the travel documents of a U.S. diplomat. One side aimed one tanks, then the other side aimed a tank, and by October 27, 10 Soviet and 10 American tanks lined the checkpoint, staring at each other. The standoff ended peacefully on October 28.

And like I said, it was probably the busiest area to visit, and the hardest to photograph. Although well worth a wander - there are walls in the area full of information. There is a museum as well, although on the day that I visited Checkpoint Charlie the weather was so nice I couldn't bear to be inside. Plus I've become accustomed to having free museums in London and it hurts a bit to pay for museums. Heh.

0 comments:

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.