Thames Festival 2009
I spent most of my waking hours this weekend at the 2009 Thames Festival. It was a huge collection of dances, performances and food followed by a night carnival and fireworks (my favorite!). Here are some of my favorite photos from the weekend (not in any order...):
The Night Carnival is special because many of the dancers and floats cover themselves in bright lights. The dancers were a lot like the Notting Hill Carnival (some floats were even the same), but the lights added a nice nighttime effect.
Tamryn found an excellent spot for us to take photographs - with the National Theatre, The London Eye and Big Ben all in the background. How perfect.
They also shut down most of Southwark Bridge and turned it into a big eating festival - tables and chairs were set up, as well as light bulbs and banners. It was a lovely view of St. Paul's Cathedral.
Here the woman had strung her dress with lights - she was spinning, hence the blur.
Here is another attempt at "bokeh", this time with the lights of London Eye.
A man watches the Dutch dancers in front of Tower Bridge.
Another bokeh with hearts!
Korean dancers perform in front of City Hall.
More fireworks!
Another Korean dancer! (I told you these were not in order...)
And finally, my favorite picture of the fireworks. It was worth standing outside, in the cold, in a corner that smelt like pee to be able to have a view like this. Well worth it.As a side, the Olympus people are running a competition for a photo of the carnival. I've posted here what I think are my best photos, and I'd like to submit one to the contest. The winner wins a pretty kick ass camera (Olympus... but still, I'd take it). But I'm not sure which one to choose! And I want your help! Which one is your favorite?
7 comments:
Leanna - the last two are my favourites - content/context and colors are exceptional
the korean dancer swirling & the final fireworks one that shows so many shapes/colors etc
choose which one best suits the 'festival' picture requirements and go from there
I do really like the first one, too actually
damn this is harder than I thought
Dad says:
My first favorite is the first fireworks picture, cuz of the dark sky behind and fewer fireworks bursts, nice detail of the skyline, too.
My second favorite is the korean dancer and the cobblestones, nice perspective and capture of her movement.
Dad.
single korean dancer. :)
Hey,
I like the first one best, the green swirly lights - dancing and colour
I'm quite taken by the 2nd fireworks pic...
hi leanna...the last fireworks is me and syd and cassidy(syd's friend) fave....but we also thought the one where the man is watching the dutch dancers too...also the single korean dancer is quite cool....
jenn xoxo
Post a Comment