Richmond Deer Park
After the sheer excitement of the duck race, I wandered back to my bus station via Richmond Park. Richmond Park is known for its deer, but I'd never been before. Turns out not only is there a lot of deer in the park, they are pretty friendly, too!
I'd like to pretend that I had to dress in camo and hide in the bushes for hours to get this shot... but I just walked up next to this one and sat down.
I guess they are used to having people around and aren't too skitterish.


These a different type of deer... I think. I really know nothing about deer. Or maybe they are younger. I remember something about Bambi with the spots. However their antlers are different.
This one in particular got along well with me.
He was very friendly.
Although I might have been feeding him...
This is what I was giving him. They came off the tree and if you stomped on them...
What appears to be some sort of nut pops out. They liked that. Eventually some other people scared him away, but hopefully he enjoyed his treat. Looks like the deer had picked off all the ones that they could reach off the trees.Either way, what a fun day! I'm very much looking forward to heading back to that deer park... and I'm hoping I'll get a call soon enough telling me that my duck came in first place! Who knows...
3 comments:
Those look like konkers - chestnuts.
I'm not sure whether to be jealous ( I am) of people friendly deer, or sad at how domesticated and unwild they are. Serves me right as a biologist - see the animals vs. know the animals in the wild.
I liked the ducks too, why blue? do you know? do they pick them up again or does the ocean steal them all? They used to do it in Calgary but pollution made them stop I think.
Haha, in Florida we used to see hermit crab races. they put a whole bunch of crabs under a bowl in the centre of a round table. The first one to reach the edge one, and you could bet on a specific crab.
I agree - these photos aren't as satisfying as finding wild deer and sneaking up on them, although they are pretty cute.
I overheard someone saying that the ducks this year were sponsored by some company, and I think that the company's colors are blue. A lot of people whined though, at least around me, saying that ducks should be yellow. And yes, they did pluck them all out of the water at the end. I think putting up the barriers helps keep them contained. My original plan was to wait for them at the end and see if I could get one, but it was taking too long.
Hermit Crab racing! I love it. We used to do that with slugs while we were camping. Heh...
Leanna, regardless of how friendly they are I wouldn't advise you getting too close in the spring during rutting season. could be a bit risky with all those horns. and I agree with Nicole - they look like chestnuts. Didn't Richmond Park used to be part of Henry the 8th's personal forest/hunting grounds? I thought it was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a huntsman?
Post a Comment