Monday, September 21, 2009

Bank of England and the Wellington Arch

Yesterday was the second day of the London Open House weekend. My first stop was the Bank of England, however I wasn't allowed to take photographs inside, so they'll be none here. Needless to say that the tour was quite lovely - it was nice to see the working interior of the building - the offices of their well-to-do people and the Roman ruins found in their basement. The interior of the building looks very much like a Victorian Gentlemen's club, all leather furniture and old paintings. But still, nice to get a peak inside.

After that I hopped over to the Wellington Arch, which is located in Hyde Park Corner. It is owned by English Heritage and you can walk up it on normal days, but it costs money. That day it was free!
While the arch isn't as high up as some of the other buildings that I've climbed, so the view wasn't amazing, but they did offer a nice view of Hyde Park, as well as the many war memorials that surround that arch.
This is part of the enormous statue on top of the arch, and all I could see from the viewing area was the underpart of the horses.
This it the view looking down Constitution Hill towards Buckingham Palace. You can see the London Eye in the background.
From the other side of the arch, you could see the back of the statue where the lady is.
And here's a lovely panorama I made of the pictures that I took from the top of the arch.

That's all I've got for you today. This week I'm hoping to do a couple more hikes, including one along the cliffs of Dover, so expect more pictures!

1 comments:

Mom September 22, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

The 'lady' and the horses - Leanna, are Boudicca (though there are various spellings of her name) - she is a legendary woman who kicked some Roman ass in her time. Read her story when you have a moment - it is well worth it. :)

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.