Stonehenge!
Stonehenge. You know what it is. I won't bother going into any sort of big explanation or copy-pasting from Wikipedia to explain anything.
Instead, I offer you a small sample of little known facts about Stonehenge:
During the Victorian age, visitors used to be able to rent a small hammer to chip peices off the monuments as souvernirs.
Stonehenge is the most well-known among the nine hundred stone rings which exist in the British Isles.
The inner ring of Bluestones came from Wales. Just a few years ago a group from Wales tried to re-enact one theory about moving the stones and failed - the stone they were trying to move now rests at the bottom of the Bristol Channel.
And a last fact, it's surprisingly hard to find new and interesting facts about Stonehenge.
We visited Stonehenge twice during our vacations. Once, from Salisbury (we also visited Old Sarum and Amesbury that day), and again, from Bath (when we also visited Castle Combe, Lacock and Avebury Circle). I've lumped the photos from both trips together, just for the hell of it.














Located just across the street from Stonehenge is this market to indicate how many miles from London and from Amesbury you are. No idea how old it is.
It's my mom and aunt! Everyone's happy! Behind them are the barrows.Also located around Stonehenge were just a few of the barrows in countryside. The cemetery around Stonehenge consisted of 20 barrows, the earliest being constructed in the Bronze Age - the same time that Stonehenge was being built and used. Important individuals were buried underneath, together with items such as pottery bessels, personal ornaments and weapons.

Most early Bronze Age barrows are either bell or bowl chaped. The two main mounds in the pictures are bells - distinguished by the flat, or slightly sloping area between the mound and its ditch.

The hollows on the top of many of the barrows are due to excavations in the 18th and 19th century.

The reason we go from Stonehenge to Barrows to road and back is because we visited it those two times. All the photos after the road picture were taken on the second visit. It was cloudier then.




I loved seeing Stonehenge and took 581 pictures at the site. Aren't you glad now that I didn't post them all?

Most early Bronze Age barrows are either bell or bowl chaped. The two main mounds in the pictures are bells - distinguished by the flat, or slightly sloping area between the mound and its ditch.
The hollows on the top of many of the barrows are due to excavations in the 18th and 19th century.
The reason we go from Stonehenge to Barrows to road and back is because we visited it those two times. All the photos after the road picture were taken on the second visit. It was cloudier then.



I loved seeing Stonehenge and took 581 pictures at the site. Aren't you glad now that I didn't post them all?
2 comments:
Leanna, if they are all as impressive as the ones you did post, then I would have no problem looking at all 581!
which I can because I have them on disc!
some truly interesting view points!
Hi Leanna
Re the date of the Milestone at Stonehenge - English Heritage have it as late C18th:
http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?id=321319
This photo taken 1930s shows it has been somewhat damaged:
http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/story/enlarge.aspx?uid=76055&storyUid=81&slideNo=11
Post a Comment