Monday, February 2, 2009

Snow Snow and more Snow

Well, while it is slightly snowing here in Leiden, I would just like to interrupt my regularly-scheduled post to bring you this news from London.

It's snowing in London! And the whole city has come to a halt. Like, a complete and utter halt.

To give you an idea of how much snow they got, here are some screen-captures from the BBC's webcams:

About 20cms of snow you see. Yep, 20 cms. It has been falling pretty regularly since last night, according to the BBC.

And because of this snow, the WHOLE tube system has come to a standstill. First thing this morning there were no tubes running at all. The whole system had been suspended. As of just a moment ago, here's what the TFL site looked like:

If you look at the map on the right, you see the pretty standard tube map. However, in this case, the lines that are illuminated are the ones that have problems. Of those that are illuminated, 90% of them are still suspended. Yikes!

I find it rather amusing, though, and kind of wish I was there to see it all. It's not very often that a city of 8 million people comes crashing to a stop over 8 inches of snow. Apparently, though, this is the heaviest snowfall in decades - so at least I can be assured of less snow when I return.

I can imagine my poor South-African roommates are pissed at the weather. I would be outside making snowmen!

Okay, back to Leiden. It's very pretty here, and I am enjoying myself a lot. It has been very cold, and as such, sightseeing isn't nearly as much fun as it would be if I didn't have to lug my coat and scarf around, but alas, I have to.

Yesterday we went to Amsterdam for the day. We went on a free student-run tour during the day, then visited Anne Frank's house in the afternoon.

This upcomming weekend I think we will spend at least one day in Rotterdam, which will be fun.

I've taken some (not a whole lot - my fingers get chilly!) pictures, so I will try and post them later.

1 comments:

Mom February 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM  

awww anna
it snowed and you missed it!

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.