Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Leiden!

Hello again! I thought i'd best get around to posting photos, but owing to the huge amount of photos I want to share, I'll divide them up by city.

So.... welcome to Leiden!
Here's a night shot I took the first or second night I was in Leiden. I think it was after we had *the best* Greek food at dinner. This is the mail canal-area where the market was held.
Here's a photo I took on the train on the way to Amsterdam. I love the countryside with all the green space and canals. Wish the train windows were cleaner, though.
This is the old-school Motte and Bailey type castle that is right by Nicole and Matt's house. According to the sign, "The elevation on which the Citadel of Leiden is situated was erected by the citizens of Leiden as a defense against the water of the Rhine. The Citadel itself was built around 1150. The city expanded around the fortress, which consequently lost its defensive purpose. The city magistrate bought the location fromt he viscount in 1651 and turned it into the city part it is today."
Here is the inside view of the castle. You can see in the middle a well, which has since been grated over. The inside is pretty bare, there's just some trees and a couple benches, as well as some art that appears to be a giant tub of toothpaste... or paint.
This is the cathedral that you can see from Nicole and Matt's window. I didn't go inside, but its pretty impressive up close.

Here you can see the difference in the old stone vs. the new stone. The original stone is on the right, while they have patched some parts with the stone on the left.
Here's a graveyard that Matt and I walked through in Leiden. I don't remember much about it, and many of the tombstones are illegible, so I couldn't figure out the dates on them.
Here's another night shot of Leiden. The water was exceptionally cool and quiet. Again I think I took this photo walking home after dinner. I think it was at the Pannekoeken house?
We spent many a-night playing Dance Dance Revolution. We all got pretty good at it, I think.
Of course it helps having the projector and a HUGE screen to watch.
This is the view from Nicole and Matt's window. The dragon is here to celebrate Chinese New Year.

Leiden is a lovely little city. You get all the loveliness of Amsterdam - the canals, the skinny little houses and the old buildings without the drugs and the naked ladies.

Hope you enjoyed these pictures.... next is Amsterdam!

0 comments:

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.