Monday, January 19, 2009

My Weekend

Hello! This weekend was my first full weekend of sightseeing/shopping. I took some pictures over the weekend, although not a whole lot, but here you go!
I started out Saturday morning at Portobello Road Market. I was hoping to peruse the artsy stalls up north and maybe see if I could buy more antique jars, but I didn't have any luck in either department. I found the whole market very overcrowded and touristy, so I gave up. It got very busy at about noon when I was leaving, so I snapped some pictures and got the hell out of there!
From Portobello Road I hoped a bus to Camden Market, where the boots were midly less busy and things were a little more 'my taste'. I wandered around for a good 2-3 hours, and bought a nice little bag. (I could've bought waaaay more, but resisted!).
I also enjoyed my £4 bowl of pick-and-mix Chinese food (they have the best food at this market!) and wandered around some more.
After Camden Market I hopped a bus with the full intention of riding it to Big Ben and continuing on to the Tate Britain, but as we passed Trafalgar Square I noticed some activity, and hopped off.



Turns out they were having some kind of protest relating to Gaza. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on - I didn't stick around too long. I got tired of people trying to hand me signs and flyers and such.
Although I don't think I've ever seen so many policeman at Trafalgar Square before.

From there I started walking to Big Ben through the gardens of Buckingham Palace.
And snapping some more touristy shots of Big Ben and the phone booth...


I actually ended up walking past Westminster Abbey and went inside to listen to their Evensong Performance. It was lovely, and the views inside the cathedral were plenty. There are great accousics, too - as you would probably imagine. It was a nice way to see the cathedral with *ahem* having to pay for it.

Sunday morning I had every intention of heading down to Harrod's to see what kind of sales they had going on, but when I got to Knightsbridge at 10:30 a.m., I realized that they didn't open for another hour and moved on. I walked through the neighborhood, taking some lovely pictures!
And no... I can't remember the name of the church that was behind this little arch. Sorry!


There was some lovely little streets tucked away here, too. Although I'm pretty sure I can't afford them.

From here I visited the Victoria & Albert Museum, The Natural History Museum as well as the Science Museum. They were very crowded (being a weekend and all), but enjoyable none the less.

I did end up going back to Harrod's to see what the sales were like. I guess the sales were good - they had a lot of designer stuff that had been market down half price... but a £1300 bag marked down to £400 is still a £400 bag. And an ugly one at that. I gave up soon after that.
Rather than continue to shop, I decided I'd take a walk through Hyde Park before heading home. It was a lovely time of day to snap photos, and the birds were a-plenty.


My last stop was just outside the Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens. It was starting to get cold and dark and as such, I hoped the tube and came home!

Today is going to be a pretty low-key day. I think I'll head over to the library later and return my books. I might go grocery stopping, although I might just do that tomorrow, too. Wednesday the Gas Man is comming to replace our boiler, and as such he'll be here all day Wednesday and part of Thursday, too. Wednesday I'll probably spend cleaning like a maniac. Not sure about the rest of the week - I know the London Walks company is doing a couple day trips, so that's something to think about. I guess it all depends on the weather.
Either way, hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

PunkRawkKnitter January 19, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

I wore my little gothy fascinator hat I bought in Camden to my company's "Winter Celebration" this past weekend and got lots of comments. I've made it my missions to bring little hats back into fashion. I broke down and bought some stoopwaffles from Edelweiss and Me and Matt have been munching on them while watching lots of "Dr. Who"... makes me miss London... Oh Camden...

Mom January 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM  

Nice shot of the Albert Memorial at sunset, Leanna
and where was that 'arch' that had the church behind it? wasn't St Bartholemews? was it?

Archive

Searching for Something?

Hello, I'm Leanna. Welcome to my blog. Here is where you'll find everything relating to my current living status in London.

Should you need to contact me, please do so via e-mail or through this blog.

E-mail is Leanna (dot) Conradson (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.

  © Leanna Conradson 2009. All Rights Reserved.